Many of the activities performed in a laboratory can exert stress and strain on muscles and joints… ultimately causing significant injuries. To work safely and maintain good ergonomic health, employees need to know how to avoid movements and work patterns that can be harmful.
NSC’s training products on “Laboratory Ergonomics” discuss the need to set up work areas correctly, as well as how to minimize the strain of using laboratory equipment, tools and instruments. Available in English. Available individually, or as part of NSC’s 12-program Laboratory Safety Series. Topics covered in these products include:
- Parts of the body most susceptible to ergonomic problems.
- Arranging work areas to minimize stress and strain.
- Working from “neutral” positions.
- Most and least stressful types of body movements.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Effective stretching exercises.